The History of Speedway in Bradford

Speedway has been in Bradford since 1945 and was a major force in the speedway world for much of its 52 year history. The club has had a number of club names. From 1945 until 1949 they were known as the Bradford Boomerangs. From 1950 to 1957 they were known as the Bradford Tudors but in 1960 changed the name to Bradford Panthers. Unfortunately the club folded in 1962. In 1970 the club was reformed and changed its name to Bradford Northern but then changed it again in 1974 to the Bradford Barons until 1976 when the club folded once more. However, after the shock announcement that the Speedway World Finals would be held at Odsal Stadium in 1985, a number of race meetings were arranged prior to the event. Over £1million was spent on the stadium including a brand new shale track. When an opportunity arrose offering the Halifax Dukes a new new home, the offer was too good to turn down. The move took place in 1986 and Bradford once more had its own speedway team, the Bradford Dukes. Bradford speedway then enjoyed its greatest period of success winning eight Championships and a World Title until the club's closure in 1997 when the club folded for the third and final time, and as Elite League Champions.

Gary Havelock became World Speedway Champion as a Bradford rider in 1992.

Although the club began and finished its racing at Odsal Stadium, it also raced for a short time at Greenfield in the early 60's before returning to Odsal.

Please click on the links on the side bar to find out more about the history of speedway in Bradford.